Monday, August 25, 2008

Family

One of my college roommates, M, got married in Lake Tahoe on Saturday. To be honest, I had been dreading the trip. It was a long drive, and M and I are very very bad at keeping in touch. In fact, part of me was sure that somewhere along the way I had mortally offended her and she hated me now. Because we simply don't talk anymore. But at one time we were close. We lived together for four formative years, and for three of those years we shared a bedroom. Can you even imagine? Actually, it's even better. There were three of us in that bedroom. Our third roommate, C, is a master at keeping in touch, truly skilled. And I felt like I had to go to this wedding for her. So I went. And the three of us came together at the reception, laughing and chatting, and grinning like fools. Like no time had passed. Like no time ever would. Because no matter what happens now, for four years we shared everything. For four years we did almost nothing alone. None of us had a typical college experience. As C and I discussed, we sort of failed at college. We got excellent grades, but we didn't form the sort of memories most people share of those years. We were shy and we were insular, and the three of us just leaned on each other and kept our eyes forward and waited for it to end. Anyway, we're family now. And I no longer worry when M doesn't call me back. Because I just saw her get married on a beautiful day. And I know she's very happy. And I know, for sure, that we're family.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Aw, you social misfit!

I have friends from college I don't talk to much, but it doesn't matter and we're always friends and always close when we see each other. It's a special bond. But I have to admit, I always think it's sad when people don't enjoy college. Don't tell me you were one of those people who was all "I like law school so much better than college!"

Corina said...

Um, of COURSE I was! And I agree that it's sad, but it is what it is. Stephanie, you know me, can you imagine me having much fun in college? I didn't even drink until I could do so legally! My college experience was inexpressibly lame for lots of reasons, but here are two: (1) I was even more uptight at 18 than I am now (hard to imagine, but try.) (2) The college I went to was not a good fit for me socially. There were the usual earnest International Studies majors, the sporty drunks who weren't smart enough to get into Stanford, and the science students desperate to get into med school who spent all their time in labs (Hi M and C!). I'm still amazed I found as many people that I didn't hate spending time with as I did.

It's not a surprise that law school worked out a lot better. I mean, the ability to drink (responsibly of course, hi mom!) was pretty much a guarantee that I would have a better time. Not to mention that I was slightly less of a priss by then and had a lot more in common with a lot more people.