Tuesday, May 15, 2007

What Have I Done!?!?

Remember all that ridiculous and inexplicable car trouble I was having? Well, the dealership called on Saturday and said my car was FINALLY fixed, over a week after it had been allegedly fixed the first time. So on Monday I made the 100+ mile drive to pick it up, and couldn't get it out of the parking lot. They hadn't fixed it. It was doing the exact same things it had been doing when I dropped it off (i.e. not moving). In disgust, while they were "fixing" it again, I decided I might as well look at their used cars, I mean, I need a 4WD eventually anyway, so maybe the universe was telling me this was the place to buy it. Fuck the universe. Instead of buying a nice, modest, reasonable used car that fit into my very stingy year-off budget, I drove off the lot in a brand new Subaru Forrester. Yeah, I'm still not sure how that happened. I feel stupid, and more than a bit irresponsible. But the car is really pretty (it's one of the newer "sport" models, so isn't quite as boxy and dull as they've been in the past.)

On a (now quite) related note, I've actually been working a little bit. My mother manages a gallery/jewelry store and she's lost almost all of her employees right before the summer season, so I'm filling in once in awhile to give her a little bit of slack. It's . . . not completely awful. I mean, standing on my feet for hours at a time isn't the greatest thing in the world (thank god for my ugly-ass Mephistos), but I've got a car payment again, so even a few extra dollars coming in makes a difference. Very few. I've gone from a ridiculous law firm salary to living in my parents' guest room making barely over minimum wage. On the plus side I do have a shiny new car, tons of lovely, lovely free time and very little stress. So all in all, I still think I've made a good bargain. Right? RIGHT?