Thursday, September 20, 2007

Action Shot (Almost)


A fair few intimations of mortality today.

Geckos are one of the cooler things about tropical living, or at least I think so. I mean, as lizards go, aren't geckos pretty darn adorable? And they also eat bugs. Which are one of the less cool things about tropical living. So it's a win-win. I'll choose more cute geckos and fewer biting insects any day of the week. I was taking this shot of a gecko and moth and mosquito for a friend who likes such things and just as I pulled my camera down the gecko made a lunge and took a chunk out of the moth. Of course, I couldn't capture that on my crappy camera. This last moment of the moth will have to satisfy my photojournalist urges.

My parents' place has plenty of little geckos scuttling around the walls and on the ceilings. They used to have a lot more before they got a cat named Emma. This morning I saw Emma skulking into the house with something yellow, little suckers on its toes. That part of the predator-prey cycle makes me sad.

This afternoon the crypt that was being built next door by the digger singing Goodnight Irene was filled in a traditional Garifuna ceremony, there was a blocks long procession from the church to the cemetary with chanting and singing and just a little wailing. I didn't take any photos of that - it seemed a little insensitive. The Australian medical students sitting around the pool didn't have a problem playing voyeur however. Maybe I should have just given my camera to one of them?

No comments: