Monday, September 24, 2007

Perfection

No photos today, because it's the same view. But . . . it's beautiful. Today the world is giving us the most perfect "caribbean vacation" weather - postcard worthy, sunny and hot. I went for a swim around 11 (and just to be clear, when I say "swim" I mean float on my back and occasionally wave my arms to propel myself from one end of the pool to the other but not so strenuously that I splash water on my sunglasses), and instead of immediately showering, and putting on real clothes, for the first time this trip I just sat around the pool, reading a mystery novel and sipping cold coca cola from a glass bottle until I got too hot and had to go back into the cool water. Then more sitting around the pool. Eventually I slipped on a loose cotton dress over my bathing suit, ate a yummy lunch prepared by one of the housekeepers - a local green called calalou stir fried with garlic and onion topping steamed rice.

I just moved my things into the bigger room that I'll share with Zach for the next few days. For the first time in the 5 years I've been visiting my parents in Belize, I've managed to get a friend to come with me. Zach's arriving tonight,, on the 5:00 flight from BC, and I have a feeling that his arrival will stir things up a bit, or at the very least force me outside the walls of the hotel. We already have a date to visit the local butterfly farm on Wednesday. I saw it years ago, but it's now owned by friends of my parents, and is apparently doing a booming business. So check back on Thursday; with luck I'll be able to show you a Blue Morpho.

(P.S. I can't bring myself to talk about it yet, but I finally gave my mother permission to mail in the Idaho Bar application I completed before I came down here. So I guess it's semi-official. I'll be looking for a job in Idaho sometime in the next few months.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When we were in Aruba last year, we made a special point of going to the butterfly farm, which was really cool, and we have a lot of very nice photos from it.

Then I found out that there is a butterfly farm right here in DC. And yet I still haven't gone.