Friday, July 11, 2008

Cat(s) and Mouse

Apparently there's a regular Thursday night mouse convention at my place, because for the second week in a row we had mousetastic adventures on a Thursday night/Friday morning. Luckily, this has not (yet) ended in tragedy. When I came downstairs this morning, both cats were stalking and sniffing and generally behaving oddly in the vicinity of a certain leather club chair in my living room. I peeked beneath, and sure enough there was a scared (but fully alive and uninjured) little mouse taking refuge. The cats and I spent the rest of the morning trying (with completely different intentions) to catch the creature as it darted from chair to sofa to behind the TV. Eventually I had to give up and go into the spa. But I knew for sure Freckles would eventually eviscerate it, so I locked Freckles in the laundry room before I went, and left older, slower, and de-clawed Sugar circling the sofa. I haven't found a mouse carcase since I got home (and believe me, I looked everywhere), so I can only hope that it made its escape out of whatever little hole in the foundation it found its way in through. I'm too soft for my own good. I'd rather the mouse took up permanent residence under my kitchen cabinets than know one of my cats killed it. Of course, I'm not looking forward to any sleep tonight. I'll be bolting awake at each scuffle and thump of Sugar and Freckles on their nightly rounds.

Ooooh. In real wildlife news there are six bucks grazing not 30 feet from my living room windows! How pretty.

No comments: