Saturday, June 30, 2007

My Life in Three New York Times Articles

It's like the New York Times is reading my mind or something. First I see this article on adults and their mommies. This is totally me. My mom helped me move into my new place, and I've been in a bit of a funk ever since she went back home Thursday. I've been talking to her several times a day since she left. Just ten minutes ago I called her at work with the SOLE purpose of telling her that a pair of goldfinches had found the birdfeeder she'd bought me. (As a sidenote, excitement over a pair of yellow birds is not appropriate in a thirty-year-old is it? Be honest. I'm afraid that moving to the country is beginning to age me prematurely. Not only am I spending an inordinate amount of time staring out my windows watching hummingbirds, I've been vaccuuming the crevices between the floorboards for days. That's not normal. Although, to be fair, if I had tv reception, I wouldn't be reduced to staring out my windows for entertainment and my obsessive cleaning would definitely come to an end.)

Then I see this article all about the vast wilderness at the heart of Idaho. Of course, the area the writer talks about isn't quite my hood (but it's pretty close). Much as I would like to pretend I'm in the middle of nowhere, I'm currently posting thanks to a neigbor's unsecured wireless network. As thrilled as I was to discover this route to the internet, it makes it a little harder to pretend I'm really roughing it.

And finally, there's this story, all about poor rural people and their pets, and the pernicious practice of dumping unwanted animals out in the country. In spite of the fact that I actually live in an area with a pretty good regional animal rescue group, I can totally relate. A sweet, young, very pregnant stray cat showed up on my doorstep the day after I moved in. ARGH! She's clearly not feral, because while she's a little timid, she's not really afraid, and she loves to be petted. Which means that this cat used to belong to someone who dumped her when they realized she was pregnant. Of course I'm going to keep her. Sugar, meet Freckles.

No comments: