Thursday, June 28, 2007

Idaho Vignettes

This blog has not exactly lived up to my hopes when I started. Mostly because my internet access has been even more limited than I thought, but also because I'm really lazy about posting when I do track down a high speed connection. Since I last posted, I've turned 30 and moved to Idaho. In that order.

Idaho is . . .nothing like Washington DC.

My mom and I went to lunch at a local restaurant/bar (Donnelly has a population under 200) where a large group of young men stood around a video game called "Extreme Hunting" shooting plastic guns at the screen.

Slightly more promising is the fantastic customer service I've received at every place I've been today. Post office, visitor center, coffee shop, telephone company (!) - every stop featured an incredibly friendly person who answered my questions efficiently and with a smile. Please note RCN customers, this included the lady at the TELEPHONE company.

My mom has always described the cabin I'm living in, which my parents built when I was three years old, as a tar paper shack with a million dollar view. 20 years of renters have made that description even more apt. People, I have two abandoned cars on my lawn. Plus assorted outbuildings and pens for mysterious animals cobbled together with spare pieces of timber, random pieces of tin, and the occasional frayed blue tarp. It is vintage rural Idaho. If I ever get internet access at home, I need to give you a photo essay, because it needs to be seen to be believed.

There's a building in Donnelly that bills itself as a library/thrift store. It's about the size of a one car garage. I haven't been inside yet, but I'll report back once I've investigated. My internet time is about to expire, and it's time to venture to the local hardware store. One enterprising past renter decided to add some windows . . . and used re-purposed sliding glass doors. The holes in the frames where handles used to be attached? He plugged them with scraps of bubble wrap. Never let anyone tell you that Idahoans aren't resourceful.

No comments: