Monday, July 23, 2007

Quick Update

I've had family staying with me for almost a week helping me spruce the cabin up. All the orange is gone from the kitchen, and the living room only has one remaining yellow panel (behind the wood stove - the drywall needs to be replaced with something more fire-resistant so I'm holding off on painting for a bit, but it's KILLING ME). Everything is now a color called "driftstone," aka beige. It's so much cleaner and prettier. The family is also helping me seal the place up for winter. We've bought loads of caulk to seal all the window frames where I can see daylight (which, shockingly, is not supposed to come through the frames, only the glass). Of course, some things need more than caulk. In the last two days we've found two dead bats in the house so a new priority is sealing the big-ass holes that are letting the bats in. Most exciting of all however is that we're starting to put up siding on the west wall. Woohoo! SIDING! Don't get me wrong, the relatives aren't staying forever so it's not like the whole house will have siding, but it's a huge start.

Oh, and for any of you who were wondering, Freckles has had her kittens but she hasn't introduced them to us yet. Once I'm living on my own again, I'll post some photos and more tales of rural life. But for now I'm just too damned exhausted what with all the painting and staining and caulking. I even got to use a nail gun today!

No comments: