Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Renter's Insurance

You know what will prompt one to get renter's insurance real fast? Standing in your driveway and seeing two huge plumes of smoke billowing over the nearest ridgeline. Seriously. When I saw them I called my mom to make sure she hadn't let her homeowner's policy lapse, and then I ran into the house and called GEICO to finally get rental insurance. When I mentioned all the fires in Idaho right now, the nice insurance agent man double-checked to make sure this area hadn't been closed down to new policies, because apparently they do that when forest fires happen. My zipcode wasn't blocked, but if I lived in Cascade, 15 miles away, I wouldn't have been able to get insurance tonight. And that's a mistake. Because the fires are a hell of a lot closer to me then they are to Cascade. Sugar's crate is by the door and I'm putting my passport in my purse. Just in case. Think rain. And winds from the west.

Update: The smoke has turned the nearly full moon the color of a ripe mango and my eyes (a much less attractive) red. But it's dark, and there is no glow to the east, so I don't think the house will be burning down tonight.

No comments: