Sunday, April 6, 2008

Ok, so it's still not spring but . . .

For the last week or so, every time I've passed over the bridge across the reservoir, I've seen trumpeter swans gliding through the black water between blocks of ice and snow. I mentioned them to my mom, and she asked if I remembered the spring storm when I was a child that brought an entire flock of migrating swans to rest and regroup in a neighbor's field. I do remember, but in seeing the swans over and over this week I had forgotten that they don't come every year. One more unusual, wonderful event to add to my tally for this (first?) adult winter in the mountains.

And last night, as I was driving home, a pair of long-legged foxes kept pace with my car for awhile, yellow and orange darting between dark trees, brightening an otherwise monochrome landscape.

Today it snowed from daybreak until 3 pm. Small, dry flakes, that fell quickly and didn't last long.

I'm trying to focus on what I have, what I see, and not what I'm missing.

No comments: