Thursday, May 1, 2008

Is it just me, or does it feel like all is wrong with the world?

This global food crisis is freaking me the hell out. I just read part two of the Washington Post's excellent series on the subject, and then, sobbing, headed immediately to a website to make what feels like a paltry contribution to the UN World Food Program. Did I mention I'm sobbing at the spa? It's really slow today, so there are no customers here to watch me turn red-eyed over a man trying, in vain, to sell his family's last goat. Stories like this make me feel like my whole life, everything I do, is one big self-indulgent waste of resources. In other words, do not read the Washington Post series without your wallet handy, or you too will be reduced to feeling like the world is in the process of ending and there's nothing whatsoever you can do about it.

No comments: