Saturday, October 11, 2008

Well, That Was Quick

Fall appears to be over for now, and winter has arrived. It hasn't gotten out of the 30s in the last couple of days, and there was even a skiff of snow on the ground when I woke up Thursday. The first few days I have to admit I was bitter. This is an unusually early cold snap, and I'm not really emotionally or physically prepared for it. Winter isn't that bad. It's just . . . I didn't think I'd still be here. I thought I would have found a real job by now, but that's not working out. (I know, I'm not exactly shocked either.) And I'm finally flat broke and busted. Remember how I was cold all last winter because I didn't get all the wood I ordered and had to be uber conscious of how much I used? Well, this winter, I didn't even order as much as I received last winter. So. I will be putting to good use all those wool socks I packed away in July. Which, you know, whatever. I still have my little spa job and that nets me enough to cover the essentials, like my Tivo and Netflix subscriptions and plenty of dried legumes and cat food. (The latter is for the cats, I promise!) This is all my own fault for being self indulgent and, let's be honest, lazy.

But before you think I'm feeling sorry for myself, I'm really not. Truth be told, it's all kind of exciting. The world economy is getting stripped down, and so is mine. I was talking to Zach about it the other day, about how I feel like I should be depressed, or anxious, but I'm not. He said he wasn't surprised, that my D.C. malaise made perfect sense, and this almost thrill in my currently reduced circumstances does as well. It's true. This is an opportunity to revel in my essential nordic-ness. To exercise frugality and simplicity and to make-do. I've got tea and books. I hand sewed a draft stopper using this fabulous and insanely cheap green houndstooth upholstery fabric I've had socked away forever. I'm embroidering gingham that I'll turn into an apron eventually. I'm poring over my expenditures, seeing where I can save. I'm looking forward to taking a thermos of tea and my snowshoes and spending hours wandering the hills around my house when winter really comes. I'm living like it's 1932. (Except for the Tivo and internet and Netflix - some of which should probably go away.) And it's all deeply pleasurable.

I've never really been able to accomplish anything until I was pushed to the wall and simply had to or the consequences would be too dire to live with. That is not an admirable trait by any means, and it's one I wish I didn't have. But, it's there. It's one of my strongest and least likely to be overcome personality traits. And it, along with my truly remarkable powers of denial and selective memory have gotten me this far in life relatively unscathed. I'm really, honestly, curious to see what happens next.

No comments: