Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Doing it creek-side

I'm not sure if the Gold Fork is technically a river or a creek, but this time of year it's so low it really doesn't deserve the label of a river. But it is still very very pretty, no? Yesterday I packed up my sewing supplies (this tea cozy is being entirely hand-sewn), a folding chair, and a picnic and headed down to the creek. I forded the stream and set up on a lovely low shelf of rock in the sunshine where I ate lunch and slowly worked on the cozy. It was a really beautiful afternoon, blue skies and temps in the mid-70s. I dipped my toes in the glacial water now and again and watched enormous dragonflies and tiny butterflies buzz the flowers on the banks. I was pretty sure that things would end in misery, that I would slip on a slimy rock and dump everything in the water, or the wind would pick up and I'd have to chase my cozy into the drink. But it wasn't a disaster at all; it was a perfect afternoon.

It's been an odd summer, cooler and damper than usual. It really feels more like late September than mid-August, and we've had several days in the past few weeks where the day's high didn't break 60 degrees. That, to put it succinctly, is fucked. But there are surely more nearly perfect days to be had before winter settles in, and I'm going to try harder to enjoy them.

No comments: