Saturday, December 30, 2006

On the Road

I finally got out of DC this morning, and I'm sorry to say that by the end I was so rushed and eager to get on the road (a full day and a half later than originally planned) that I barely remember the drive out of town. I was on autopilot, and my last memory of the city . . . I think it was cloudy? Yeah, it was definitely cloudy. And I think one of the lanes of 66 was closed.


It was a short day of driving, only a little over 6 hours, but it felt great. I love being in the car on a long drive. I love the various forms of audio entertainment, skipping between my ipod on shuffle, an audiobook, the little road trip miracle of landing on some classic rock radio station out of Allentown just as Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" begins. It's one of those little quirks of fate that not being known for my endurance in any other area (not work and certainly not exercise) I've found that I'm really good at enduring hours and hours in the car. There's something about watching those miles roll up on the odometer that makes me feel like pushing myself, seeing how far I can go before the next hotel, the next break to stretch my legs and back. I think Sugar likes it too. At least, she doesn't complain and seems pretty content. See over there on the right? Photographic evidence that Sugar is alive and well after day one of cross-country trip number three.

A special thanks to the road gods for free, efficient, wireless at a crummy Motel 6 somewhere in the middle of Ohio. It makes me wonder why the big fancy hotels I used to stay in for work charged $12.95 a day for internet that only occasionally worked

3 comments:

Sally-Anne said...

Congrats on getting through day one! Mr. Kitty always tolerates long road trips (she's done the Texas-NY route thrice now, each two long days and one short day in the car) but she also usually hides under the hotel bed when she realizes it's time to go back into the carrier for some more driving. Hope Sugar doesn't discover this trick! I've taken apart more than my share of king-sized hotel beds.

Laura Ingalls Wilder said...

Have you made it yet? Anxious to hear you are OK!

Corina said...

Sugar discovered the hiding under the hotel bed trick in Wyoming. Luckily she hadn't learned not to come when I offered her treats. Thank god!