Wednesday, August 1, 2007

More on the Fire

Sorry to keep harping on about this, but have I mentioned that there's a fucking forest fire (or two) trying to asphyxiate me? I got almost no sleep last night, and when I did sleep I dreampt of running and flames, and then the smell of smoke would wake me up and I'd lie there with my mind racing completely uselessly wondering if I should get up and start searching through my still mostly packed boxes for things I really couldn't bear to lose and wondering what the hell I was going to do about Freckles and her still hidden kittens if I really had to evacuate. And then it was early morning and I finally couldn't take it anymore, and I came downstairs, and I closed all the windows, and the smoke is still so bad it makes my eyes water and my throat feel like I've swallowed a rose stem smoothie. Speaking of smoke, because really, that's kind of all I can think about right now, remember when I complained a couple of days ago about not being able to see the mountains across the valley? HA! Now I can't even see the valley. And to the east, the ridgeline and those plumes of smoke that scared me last night? I can barely see the ridge anymore. And what am I doing about all this? Am I re-packing my family mementos? No. I'm blogging. And baking cookies. What the hell is wrong with me? I can't tell whether I'm being horribly melodromatic and completely ridiculous or totally in denial. Is it possible I'm being both?

Fucking forest fires.

No comments: