Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Um . . .yeah. Well.

Remember how on Monday I was so pleased about not being stuck in a snow bank? Well, on Tuesday that little chicken came home to roost but good. Oh, I didn't get stuck in a snow bank. It was better than that.

I was coming home for a little trip to the Post Office and my friendly neighborhood bakery (where I read Contracts and tried not to kill myself from boredom) when, while backing up the final twenty yards of my driveway, in the snow, I sort of . . . drove off the driveway and into the field. Oops! Yeah. I didn't slide off the driveway as I first reported to my mom while I was sitting in the car, thinking "Oh Shit". Oh no. On closer inspection, I realized I didn't turn enough, and just backed straight off the road. In my own defense, everything was white, and it was snowing, and who the hell has depth perception in those conditions? But. Still. I drove off my driveway. After I'd waded up to the house and called AAA, one of those awesome neighbors of mine called to ask if I was stuck, then told me to cancel that AAA bat signal of distress, and pulled me back on the road with his truck. He then traffic directed me all the way back up my driveway and into my carport because clearly I can't be trusted to do it myself.

Needless to say, the whole incident left me feeling a little STUPID and like I never wanted to leave the house (in my car) again. Or at least not until this snow is gone. I had to mask my feelings of incompetence through brisk employment of that snazzy new snow shovel on my porch and the path to the wood pile. It made me feel a little better.

We've gotten at least another 5 inches of snow since I got pulled out of the snowbank (meaning, I'm really getting my money's worth out of that shovel). And this afternoon, after a scintillating three hours of sitting on my butt listening to a Contracts lecture on my ipod, I went for a little walk in the lightly falling snow. Look at the little Santa hat on the grave marker! How festive!(Those are fox tracks in the photo by the way.) I am absolutely loving this snow. (Caveat: When I'm not driving off my driveway.) We're supposed to get another 4-6 inches of snow tonight, and then a few more inches tomorrow. Which is all great, except I'm supposed to work tomorrow. And . . . I still am not over this little trauma of driving off my driveway. And seriously. I don't ever want to leave the house again. It would be wrong to call in "sick", right?

No comments: