Thursday, August 30, 2007

Summer Wanes

Why is summer ending so soon!?!?! Due to a number of unforeseen events - kittens, a house-ful of relatives, lazyness, forest fires - this summer hasn't been exactly what I imagined a summer in the mountains would be. (OK, I should have anticipated the lazyness, but ... somehow I didn't.) I haven't really gone hiking, I haven't gone swimming in the river, the lake, or the reservoir, I didn't take up my cousin's offer to go rafting on the Salmon, I haven't put up a tent and slept with only that thin nylon between me and the stars. This is not to say it's been a bad summer, just that it's been one more summer of which I didn't take full advantage. Which is disappointing. It's been pretty hot the last couple of days, and today is supposed to be another warm one, so I hadn't really thought that summer was ending. Until I woke up this morning at 6:40 and it was still really dark. But it's now almost 8:30 and it's still pretty dark. I'm going to blame it on this big black cloud blocking the sun, and not the creeping fall that is already turning a tree in my yard red, and some of the aspens by the road yellow.

No comments: