Monday, November 19, 2007

Go Brown

Red Fraggle and I were just IMing, and for some reason I mentioned that FedEx doesn't deliver to my house. She was aghast. I explained that it was OK, because UPS does deliver, and I've always liked them better anyway. The big brown trucks remind me of the excitement of getting a package when I was a child . . . and she totally couldn't relate. So I explained that when I was young, seeing the UPS truck was exciting in the same way that the arrival of the Sears catalog was exciting. Her response: "LOL! Sears catalog! I always wondered who that was exciting to. I remember reading a story when I was young about someone waiting with anticipation for the Sears catalog and thinking 'REALLY?!'"

See, Red grew up in the crowded northeast, near New York. For her, the ability to go shopping for a new skirt or to a toy store wasn't a big deal. But in the 1980s, in this part of the country, it was a HUGE deal. In some ways, my childhood bears a stronger resemblance to the average American childhood of the 1950s than the 1980s. The available shopping options, as I remember them, were Shavers, a sort of dry goods store combined with a grocery store, (sort of a smaller precurser to SuperTarget without the high-falutin obsession with "design" for the masses) and the old-fashioned drug store across the street that sold cards and tchotchkes and stuffed animals in the aisles between the drug counter and the soda fountain.

And even making the 200 mile round trip Boise didn't net much of an improvement. Back then its population was well under 200,000 and the shopping opportunities were accordingly slim. Boise didn't have many of the big chain stores . . . I think there was a JC Penney and a Sears . . . and the only mall in the entire state was in Nampa (another 30 miles away) and it boasted a Bon Marche, a fabric store, a three screen movie theater, an Orange Julius, and maybe a Foot Locker? It was TINY by today's standards. And that was it.

So for the things my mom couldn't make herself (she made lots of my clothes), and the things we couldn't find in town, the Sears catalog was IT. I remember poring over the pages and pages of toys for hours. And on the rare occasions that my parents could justify the expense of purchasing something from that glossy book of delights, the package would come via a big brown UPS truck struggling up our horrible driveway. And the excitement was real, and it was gleeful, and I still feel a little faint echo of it every time I see a man or woman in brown polyester shorts bearing boxes.

5 comments:

Red Fraggle said...

I must clarify:
I actually did grow up in New York, not just "near" New York, as Corina points out. However, I grew up "near" New York City. But in New York state.

I needed to clarify because I didn't want anyone to think I grew up in New Jersey.

Corina said...

Red is insulted that I said "near New York" thinking that implies New Jersey. She grew up in New York state, near New York City. Sorry for any embarassment Red feels. (I personally don't think it's embarassing to imply that someone might have grown up in the fine state of New Jersey. But given how pissed I get when someone asks if Idaho is in the mid-west. . .)

Red Fraggle said...

The fine state of New Jersey?! Did we work together for three years or am I confusing you with another Corina?

Corina said...

Ok, so I personally have had nothing but bad experiences in New Jersey itself. Particularly with their state court system. And I have bad-mouthed the state based on those horrible experiences on many many occasions. But I know some very fine people from New Jersey. And according to www.tomatonation.com they have great tomatoes. Plus I really like Bruce Springsteen and have an embarassing fondness for Bon Jovi. And, coming from a state that is the butt of almost as many jokes as New Jersey, I feel a certain kinship . . .

Anonymous said...

I grew up in North Carolina and Florida and remember it being a big deal when we got the Sears and JC Penney's catalogs- it was well-before internet shopping and although we did generally buy things at the mall, I definitely remember poring over catalogs picking out presents for my Christmas wist list.