Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving Update

My grandmother called this morning and told me that about half the family was meeting for breakfast tomorrow at Cracker Barrel and then a matinee of Bee Movie. Seriously. That's the plan for Thanksgiving. God love them. Anyway, I jumped at the chance. Not because I really want to get up at 6 am to drive 100+ miles to eat at a Cracker Barrel on Thanksgiving, but because it saves me from the consequence of my poor planning. Yesterday, in a GREAT example of not thinking clearly when in the midst of social panic I told my neighbors that yes, I did have plans for Thanksgiving, I was spending it with my bosses. (Which, at the time, was not true because I'd already decided to spend Thanksgiving doing nothing.) So . . . I lied. Which . . . is not unusual. I do it all the time to avoid social occasions. (I told my bosses I'd gotten a last-minute invitation from my step-brother.) But it was a STUPID lie. Because . . . they're my neigbors. They can see whether I'm home from their front window. Their dogs bark every time I set foot ouside. So . . . before my grandmother called I was honestly trying to figure out what to do for a couple of hours tomorrow afternoon so that my neigbors wouldn't realize that I had no plans. I'm an idiot.

No comments: