Friday, February 1, 2008

Home Again

I did spend the night in town yesterday. I didn't get out of work until dark, and it just seemed like tempting fate to try the reverse of my morning adventure at night. But I unexpectedly had the morning off today so I ventured home to find what the storm had wrought . . . three feet of snow that had drifted into my carport and neck-deep drifts between my house and the woodshed. An hour and a half of digging took care of the first issue, but those drifts between me and the woodshed . . . they look damn near insurmountable. Seriously. Some effort and a lot of stumbling could get me through them, but how the hell could I carry wood enough to raise the temperature of the house even a degree? I just don't see how it's possible. And there's no point in digging a path, because the wind is still blowing, and that's just where the snow settles. The only thing I've been able to come up with is a sled to carry the wood, and snowshoes to carry me. Doesn't that sound like fun? I actually think that sounds like fun! I have a real, practical need for snowshoes! They're not toys, they're equipment. Maybe you think I'm a nutjob, but extreme weather leaves me so happy (as long as no one gets hurt and I don't have to drive in it obvs).

I'm heading to Seattle tomorrow, the home of REI, and I think I might come home with snowshoes. But before that, I have to make my way back into McCall (and then home again). Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might be one of the rare people that considers moving to Chicago for the better weather.

Corina said...

Nah! If I move to Chicago it will be in spite of the fantastically crummy weather here. Did I mention that this has been the snowiest winter in recent memory? Like, the snowiest since I was a child? It's like it's just for me. A special treat.

If I do leave, I'm going to miss this place a lot. I know this all sounds like complaining that I do, but I LOVE it here. The bitter cold and lack of sufficient firewood? The neck-high snow drifts? The bursitis in my shoulder from all the shoveling? I love it! (Except for the constantly aching shoulder. That actually blows. But the rest of it? It is an opportunity to test my mettle. To be frugal and hardy and all those other things I've hardly ever had a chance to be/do.)