Friday, March 7, 2008

Back in the Cold

My trip to Oregon was lovely lovely lovely! I really wish I'd stayed an extra day. It was sunny, and beautiful, and I had a fabulous time with my mom. She taught me how to knit! (We couldn't find any cross-stitch fabric in Newport. In response to the anon commenter on my last post, I want to do both cross-stitch and embroidery, but I have a cross-stitch project in mind first.) I promptly ruined all the work I'd done on my "scarf" as soon as I got home, and after a couple of frantic calls to my mother where I tried to articulate what I was doing, and she tried to explain what I was doing wrong, I finally got the appeal of webcams. Because with visual aids we might have been able to figure it out. As it was, I finally worked it out for myself using a simple knitting guide she'd sent me home with. I'm really enjoying the knitting, but . . . I'm having a hard time imagining myself ever being good enough to make anything I'd want to keep.

Oh, and did I mention that while in Newport Zach made a three course luncheon? (It wasn't lunch. When it's three courses, served on an insane mix of colorful antique pottery and wildly patterned china with silver demitasse spoons from Mexico and complete with both jam tarts and lemon cake for dessert? It's luncheon.) Photos of the crazy quilt luncheon later.

No comments: