Tuesday, June 10, 2008

31, Now With Roommate!

Because a friend of mine was scheduled to show up at 4:30 with her clothes and her dog to stay with me for a bit while she sorts out her life, yesterday turned out to be one long cleaning binge. Now she's here, and until we make the guest room habitable with primer and paint and maybe some actual furniture (soon I'll have a guest room with a door and a bed and everything, NOW will someone visit me?!?!) she's sleeping on the couch, and her dog is snoring and of course I woke up too early and have been sitting in the living room drinking my tea, and trying to type quietly and not wake her. (Have I mentioned that my wireless router hasn't mysteriously started working as mysteriously as it stopped? I am beyond annoyed.)

So what with the cleaning, and the nerves over temporarily losing some of my privacy, my birthday was not quite as peaceful as I was anticipating. But it was lovely nonetheless. My roomie and I (let's call her L) met another friend for dinner and life change debriefing. They didn't know it was my birthday until I mentioned it late in the dinner, and they were a bit pissed. But . . . all sentimentalizing aside, my birthday really isn't an occasion I like to have become a thing. It's nice when people remember and call or write (thanks to all who did!), but I don't mind when friends don't remember. I actually think a completely normal dinner out, with no one the wiser, was a great celebration. I honestly don't LIKE being the center of attention. Anyway, birthday nonsense over with, it's time to move on to just being 31. And the first order of the day is to wake up L, meet our friend Nadine, and start out the new year with another muscle destroying yoga class. YAY!

(Oh, and because I know at least one person will be curious: The cats are reacting surprisingly to this invasion. Sugar seems fine with the dog. Wary, but not scared. Freckles on the other hand, once a bold invader herself, has been hiding upstairs since this giant gentle Akita showed up in her living room.)

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Am I the one person who would be wondering? Because I was. Poor Freckles! Maybe the Akita will bring some balance to the Sugar/Freckles relationship.