Monday, June 2, 2008

Discovery

Why do I never have my camera when I could really use it? I took the long route home from the post office this morning because I wanted to see just how short my usual walk is (just under 3 miles, longer than I expected) and on the way I decided to park my car and explore on foot a mysterious dirt road that had been tantalizing me since last summer. An hour and a half later I had a blister and thought I was going to die of thirst, but I've definitely found my new favorite rambling spot. The road winds along the other side of the river and it's beautiful. But that's not what's so special. I mean, you can say the same thing about the road I usually walk along. But unlike on MY side of the river, this road is not bordered by barbed wire fences strung with ominous no trespassing signs. So I can hop off the road any time I like and perch on a rock by the water, or climb up the hills into the forest, without fear of prosecution. I'm so excited! Especially about one spacious sunny rock out of sight of the road at the head of a waterfall. I'm already imagining all the picnics I'll have there this summer.

(Private note to Mom: Can I PLEASE borrow Jackson for the summer? We'd have so much fun on this road together! And with a 130 pound fiercely protective dog at my side I might not get that little needling unease that shows up when I find myself alone in the middle of nowhere surrounded by shotgun shells and faded cans of Keystone Light. I hate that fear. It makes me mad. But I can't seem to get past it. I just have to feel it and keep walking. I've read too many damn thrillers in my life.)

No comments: