Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Days are Here Again, the Skies are Blue and Clear Again!

That last photo of snow on the june grass was just the beginning. The next morning we woke up to three inches. It was . . . disheartening. Every time I tried to exclaim over its awfulness, L would give me a disgusted look and say, with more bitterness than I have ever heard anyone but Zach express, "I don't want to talk about it." Thankfully it all melted during the course of the day, and by Saturday, summer was really and truly here. L and I went into town this morning for yoga, and by the time we got home that june grass, no longer covered in snow, was shorn. One of my truly exceptional neighbors had driven his riding mower down the hill, without warning, and cut my front lawn/prairie while we were gone. I couldn't speak. I have got to find a way to pay him. I'm thinking a check would be best.

Today has been a perfect alpine day. Sunny and in the upper 60s with a slight breeze I woke up with one goal. By the end of the day I wanted to sit on my lawn, content that I had made good use of the perfect weather, and sip a gin and tonic in the endless evening. After spending as much time as my poor arms could take raking the cut grass, after drying laundry on the line, and watering the peonies, I met my goal. Here's to small victories and days that last forever. (Of course, I've only managed to clear a small portion of what was cut. I'll still be raking when it needs to be cut again.)

No comments: