Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year!

I was chatting with Another DC Lawyer briefly yesterday, and she asked how I felt about my year off, because in my last reflective post I seemed a little torn. And that's just poor writing on my part because I have LOVED my year off. Yes, I wish I'd had an epiphany about what I want to do with my life, and yes I wish I'd changed a little more than perhaps I have, and yes I wish I'd done more, but those are thoughts I have every year at this time. There is no doubt in my mind that this was the right decision for me, and that if I'd stayed where I was, I would have had a year of different pleasures, but the same regrets and more besides. Hell, I haven't once in the last 12 months felt the need for SSRIs or seriously considered spending $500 and four hours a week to have a professional examine my neuroses, so from that one objective standard, I did a hell of a lot better in 2007 than I did in 2006.

I don't make New Year's resolutions, because I'm just not very resolute, and I've found that January 1st doesn't change that. But, I've decided that 2008 will be the year of 12 aspirations. I'm not going to make any big grand pronouncements. 2008 is not going to be the year I "eat fewer cookies" or "get in shape" or "figure out my goddamned future already." Well, I might do any or all of those things, but I'm sure as hell not going to set my self up for failure by resolving to attempt them. Instead, I aspire, on the first day of each month of 2008, to choose one discrete, easily identifiable, objectively certifiable, goal to aspire to for that month and that month only. I hereby tell the world (or the 5 people who read this blog, hi guys, thanks for sticking with me!) that my January aspiration is to actually follow the BarBri study schedule. Because I haven't been. At all. And it would be horrifyingly embarassing to fail the Idaho bar exam. That would not be an ideal beginning to 2008.

Well. I guess I should go read a little Convisor Mini Review then shouldn't I?

Current Temperature: -11. (My fingers and nose are actually numb. The temperature IN THE HOUSE is only 49. Gah. Thank god this is supposed to be a snowy winter and not a cold one. "Cold" in this part of the world being -20 or lower.)

No comments: